Friday, February 5, 2010

From Mary




We are really exhausted (this is Mary by the way) so I'm gonna keep this short... We have spoken quite a bit about the quality of life here but I would like to share a quick excerpt from the veterinary perspective. The dogs here are in such poor condition, no, the aren't starving, there is plenty of garbage, but their appearance is shocking. All of them appear to have mange and none of them are aggressive what so ever. There are rescue centers here but those of you who have been to a shelter in the US know how crowded these places can be. Dogs here have no chance and its sad, not just for them but for the people. They roam the streets and spend parasites to all the children. Our med student friend from Australia, Geraldine, is bringing a team in to deworm a whole classroom of students that have swollen bellies. Before, deworming was something I only heard in relation to animals. The filth is unbelievable, everyone here makes fun of the Americans because they always get sick. Our country is so clean and everyone carries around hand sanitizer, afraid of getting a cold, and as a result our immune systems are weakened. (sorry went off subject, ADD :)
As I type this we can here the dogs outside, for some reason they begin to fight at night. I dont know if its because they are defending their territory, they are sleeping and are easily frightened, trying to find a female in heat.... I have no clue. But funny story is that last night we were sleeping and one dog fight broke out so bad it semi woke me up from a deep sleep. Lauren told me that I kept saying, " What about Mico? What about Mico?" hahahahahahaha!!!!!!
Another one was yesterday, I was talking to Orijeet and he told me that his daughter wanted to be a veterinarian. Orijeet was puzzled, no one in his family was in the field much less cared so much. At this point she was five years old when he asked her, "So what would you do if a giraffe walked up to you?"
She smiled and said, "I would go get a ladder, climb up, clean his ears, and then climb back down!" LOL How cute is that? Just something to make yall smile. :)
I'm done now, going to go wash my feet and say my night night prayers. Toodles and God bless! Love you all so dearly and miss you terribly. Wish you could all be here with me!
Guess that wasn't really short. HAHA.

PS. me and Loo are bringing back the W.W.J.D. bracelets big time... LOL jk. But seriously, don't make fun if you catch us wearing one. ;)

1 comment:

  1. Mary, I am so glad to see you post on the blog. We must also be kind to animals. God created them too. I am happy that you love them so much. I love you. Neen

    ReplyDelete