Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Jetlag! Day 1









We finally arrived in Kolkata! It was a very long, tiresome journey but we are here and safe! This is the most eye opening destination I have ever travelled to to date. The minute we stepped out of the airport there were child beggars. I gave them 10 rupees and i realized that was only like 20 cents so I felt really bad, I gave them another 10. Ive never seen anything like this before, even in Africa. It's a totally different culture, people, economic and social issues and I cant even begin to tell you how crowded it is and i couldn't help but to cough the minute I stepped off the plane because its so smoggy and dusty. All you can hear are the clanking, honking, sounds of this hustle and bustle of a city. I was amazed at how chaotic the driving and streets are, yet there are never any wrecks and everyone just seems to know the motions of each other. I would definitely have a few crashes..haha. I have so much more to write and tell; however, Im extremely sleep deprived and have to get up at 5am to go to the slums to take pictures for an upcoming project we will be helping with on education with children. Mary and I will be doing a list of things, among the medical clinics, we will also be working at the feeding center that feeds over 25,000/day. We will go to blind school, the Mother Theresa house as well as the Starr school for the street kids. MAry will actually get to do some work with animals as well..as you can see above they need love too but that is not the main priority here. There are alot of other things we will be doing within the artistic area as well. I will be interviewing patients and writing short stories and taking pictures of them, as well as some other photography and helping with a documentary. I will also be helping with devotions every morning for the patients in the hospital. We also went to a traditional restaurant tonight and had some great food, a place called "Peter Cat" ;)..there are 3 other girls volunteering here, all from different places and different areas of interest. Geraldine, Tiffany, and Molly from FL, OR, and Australia. We are all same age and its going to be great to have a nice group of like minds and passions working towards the same goal. These are just some things off the top of my head but I will have more to write tomorrow im sure, as well as pictures. I feel like a zombie right now so I'm probably not making any sense:)

On a happy note, the flight over here was so nice! Emirates airline from Paris to Dubai was ridiculous! It had everything you needed and the best food, movies, and comfort. After our first meal we scarfed down, i politely asked if there were any extra meals, the lady replied and said she'd check and said "you are still hungry?" She brought back another entire tray for me and said are you sure you want everything on it? I replied yes please, she then said "enjoy it while you can and then snorted like a pig at me!! it was the funniest thing ever and she was just playing of course but i bet she was thinking, this gluttonous little America girl is going to eat us out of the airplane! haha..it was funny, anyways, i enjoyed my food. I will post more stuff tomorrow and Mary and I both appreciate all of your prayers and support. We are so moved already and know this experience will be embedded in our hearts and minds forever. Love you all!! On to the next adventure..

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Lauren for the update. Please give Mary a big hug from me. Tell her everything will be ok! Ronnie and Daddy are watching over you guys!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading your blog! Stay safe and keep writing and posting pics. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What neen said! love you stu

    ReplyDelete