Monday, February 22, 2010

Puri adventures, etc....bittersweet




Our 3 week long trip is coming to an end and it is bittersweet:( I am so excited to see my family; however, I am so attached and connected to this place in more ways than one and I am sad to leave. I just feel a tug at my spirit for the work I feel I can help do here. I have so many ideas and inspirations and I def initely plan on coming back. I am praying about March/april to come back for 2 months to mentor the girls in Sarampore at the Hope House and live with them while Jean has to leave for the new Visa regulations here in India. Mary and I have both been so deeply moved in a way I dont think we can explain in a blog or even pictures. We had the best talk today about how this has truly changed us and planted something in us that we have never felt before. I have done several mission trips and travelled internationally in recent years; however, this trip, for some reason has really pushed me over the edge and has opened so many doors. Ive gotten alot of answers here that i'd been searching for for so long. I realiz everyone in this world has something special planted inside, when we cross paths with other people with those similar passions and gifts, the fire spreads and those things grow. For me, this trip has done that. Ive met so many incredible young people and adults alike that have just given me even more confidence to do what I feel Ive always meant to do and I want to stay true to that from now on; to who I truly am, where my heart is and to use the gifts God has given me. Its still difficult to see exactlty where and what I should do with them, but everyday I feel something stronger towards a certain area or mission. Id like to commit to one and make something here my project, to truly make great changes that can positively impact or inspire others. When I return back to the states, I will be given several options all of which I have to think about and pray about. Its actually very overwhelming and all prayers are appreciated:) Theres an amazing organization called "Forgotten Diamonds" in Sierra Leone, Africa for literacy and Aids and Ive been contacted about running their orphanage and literacy program while the founder continues funding and her documentary project back in the states for 2 months. She's an incredible woman who has inspired me to start the beginnings of starting my own organization, which im brainstorming currently:) Ive also been asked to help with a school, refugee camp, and clinic in an area outside Kabul, Afghanistan which for some reason, this area keeps tugging at me as well but with safety as an issue, its something I really want to think about. Uncle Bob has also asked me to return to Haiti with him when I get back and mentioned that "Danita's House" for Orphans could possibly need someone to help in their orphanage as well for long term. The other big opportunities are the ones in India of course, things I have already started to lay a foundation with and things I feel very connected with. Im just waiting on a few things to confirm PA school. I have 2 schools left. South University in Tampa, which starts in Jan 2011 or Nova Southwestern in Jacksonville, FL which starts in June 2010. As you can see, thats a huge gap of time to wait and Im just a little anxious to see which one I get into so I can know which steps to take next. I guess Im getting  a little antsy. I wont know anything until probably april. I know God has a perfect time and reason for things and I need to just relax but I am just so excited about all these possibilities and if you cant tell yet, I have fallen in love with mission/humanitarian work so I like to be involved as much as I can. I know my "home is where the heart is" which is my family and TX has been an incredible opportunity and growing experience for me, but I still havent truly connected anywhere as much as I have when Im out of the country doing what Im blessed to do, so for me to go back is going to be bittersweet for me. I know Mary and I are both very antsy to see and talk with our families; we have so much we want to share. Im so glad Mary and I were able to reconnect through this trip and Im glad she took a chance and decided to go with me:) I dont think it would've been the same without her. Too many laughs, tears, mosquito bites, and silly stories we will never forget:) Its an incredible gift to have friends that truly share your passions and that you can trust and lean on in times as these. I thank God for these friends and my incredibly supportive and encouraging family. I know Ive probably given my parents and grandparents so many strokes just by worrying about all my travels and my safety and I know its hard for them to let me get out there in that big 'ol world and just let go, but they have and thats the best lesson and gift they have ever given me. Im so incredibly inspired right now by so many things and Im refreshed and renewed spiritually and emotionally. I know these next few months are going to be difficult for me for many reasons but I know I have a great support system and Im so grateful for that.



Mary and I will be going to Prem Dan and the Blind School again tomorrow and finishing up our patient stories in our last few days, so we will post more soon. Puri was amazing and was a great place to relax, enjoy each other, be silly, talk about our trip and our future goals, be inspired, eat great food, stick our toes in the sand, see camels, and just be the goofy people we are:) We made some great connections with Phillip's organization and Im currently working on ideas for a huge fundraiser in TX and in my hometown to raise funds for their cause and hopefully be able to come back to help at the Dream Center. I have TONS of pics on Facebook of our Puri trip but i put a few on the blog:)




-Mary got 66 mosquito bites (we counted all of them)
-Mary was taking pics of the beach dogs and one chased her and almost attacked her!!
-I saw a man drop his pants and poop on the beach right in front of me and then kick it into the ocean...ewww
-There were cows EVERYWHERE!! we named all of our neighboorhood cows:)
-A crazy HIndi man came up to us on the beach, threw water on us, and chanted some Hindi prayer...so we probably have some crazy curse on us now..haha....jk...but really, it was wierd
-We watched "what happens in Vegas 4 times" hahaha
-All the kids from the "Dream Center" and AG school/orphanage attacked us and gave us huge bear hugs for hours and we played with them:) such an amazing experience, so sweett
-We saw the Sun Temple in Konark...amazing structure...incredible
-We went to a small village on the beach and Mary and I both spoke to over 100 villagers on a personal devotion and testimony we had in our heart, we were translated into the native language
-In that same village (Chandrabagha), we were invited to eat the village food (huge no no for Americans), we didnt want to offend them, so we obliged...I ate chicken organs...with my hands...ewww
-Mary swallowed a fish bone
-I swallowed an entire chicken lung
-I drank out of a coconut and ate the meat, it was gross
-We saw the cutest, tiniest woman ever...she had the "oompa lompa" shrunken voice and we just wanted to squeeze her
-Our train ride there and back...enough said, that was an experience on its own
-I got yelled at by an Indian woman...in bangali...i have no idea why
-We saw a camel;)...and he didnt spit:)
-Many, Many more fun stories we will tell in person...it was great!!


ps...do you ever notice how Indians bobble their heads when they answer you a yes/no question? its confusing...watch next time you see a true Indian and see if they do it..so wierd

1 comment:

  1. Oh wow! So much to hear about! I can't wait to pick you guys up from the airport. Be safe and I'll see you on Thursday. Love you!!!!

    ReplyDelete